Thursday, April 10, 2008

Greetings from San Francisco :-)

All is well today, which is more than can be said for yesterday and even though that didn't go to plan - minor car accident when parking, don't really want to talk about it - everything was ok in the end.  The main thing is that no one was hurt (only my pride), I had full insurance and everyone was super kind telling me not to let it spoil my day or holiday.  In fact I think I was the only person who felt bad and upset.  Still I got it sorted and picked up a new car.  I then drove to Berkeley and met Aki, proving that I don't give up easily because it did cross my mind to get a bus and never drive again!!  What helped me though the experience was recalling the principles for total spiritual and emotional fulfilment from Barbara De Angelis - thanks Gayle for recommending the book to me.  In particular, 'your mind creates your experience of reality, so learn to make your mind your friend'.  I've only just got enough distance from the event to do this.  The other one was 'fear will steal your aliveness - make your courage bigger than your fear'.  I'm so pleased I was brave enough to get back in a car and drive.  Although I'm also glad that I don't have to drive again for some time now...  The worst bit is I didn't even get to see the aquarium, I guess I'll just have to come back to California again!
It was so good to see Aki and catch up.  She has a great apartment and Big Toddle quickly made friends with her pals Mickey and Pluto - everything is so much bigger over here so he looks kind of small! LOL. We went for Korean food with Perry, who is lovely and very curious (in a good way) to know all about how much I've travelled, what life was like school and in general.  
I slept in late today and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast of cinnamon toast crunch, with some Irish tea - thanks Kylin.  I eventually ventured out to San Francisco via downtown Berkeley, using the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transport - like the underground).  The Muni railway (or trolleys I think I heard Aki call them) weren't running initially so I caught a replacement shuttle bus and then got a cable car/muni to Fisherman's Wharf.  


This was a great place to wander around, taking in the sights, listening to a steel drums band play Bob Marley and UB40 reggae hits whilst I wrote some postcards.  I saw Alcatraz from the distance and the Golden Gate Bridge.  Aki joined me later on and we discovered the sea lions, who were hilarious and incredibly noisy!


We managed to get a table at the Neptune restaurant on the pier by the window to watch the sun set over the bridge. 
  
I tried the seafood special - crab, lobster and shrimp on a bed of mash with roast veg - a first for me; it was delicious.  

Aki helped me take some night pictures including this groovy one!


Afterwards we saw a live spray painting artist create the pyramids before our very eyes, which was impressive given the speed at which he worked at.  All he asked for was a 10$ donation, so I chose a cool spiderman (for Ed because he loves him) and one of the Golden Gate Bridge to remind me of SF.  

We drove back taking a detour to Treasure Island where I could see the Bay bridge all lit up against the night sky - beautiful. I've enjoyed today immensely, taking it easy and relaxing.  Plus reflecting on how I'm coping with everything - the things I've learnt that help make a difference to how I feel, which you may have gathered is pretty good thank you!!    

2 comments:

chrisfrenchprof said...

Hi em, that food looks as Will would say 'deelicious'! Glad that all is going well and Sarah is really enjoying the pictures of SF where she once lived.

Take care,

Chris,Sarah, Jack, Will & Sophie x

Emily West-Sadler said...

Cheers Chris!

Just to summarise here are top 10 secrets that women (and I don't see why not men) should know:

1) everything you need to be happy is inside of you.
2) the purpose of life is for you to grow into the best human being you can be.
3) change is inevitable, so stop resisting and surrender to life's flow.
4) all obstacles are lessons in disguise - honour them and learn from them.
5) your mind creates your experience of reality, so learn to make your mind your friend.
6) fear will steal your aliveness - make your courage bigger than your fear.
7) you must love yourself before you can truly give love or receive love from anyone else.
8) all relationships are your mirrors and all people are your teachers.
9) true freedom comes from how you respond to life and not from what life does to you!
10) whatever the question, love is the answer.