Monday, April 7, 2008

Driving along the pacific coastal highway







The end of another beautifully sunny day in California ... and I've enjoyed driving along the pacific coastal highway. I went to Mission Santa Barbara, which lived up to its description of having the loveliest architecture and most impressive artwork, with the most beautiful view (red roofed tiles, and lush trees set against the sparkling Pacific). It also had those flowers which look like birds of paradise!
Plus an usual assortment of classic and modern cars parked outside for some kind of tour show!



I've not yet downloaded today's photos - left cable in hotel, whilst I'm an internet coffee shop in San Louis Obispo or SLO - but will try and add them here for you all to see. The reason I went to see the mission ws because when Janine from Hertz rental company showed me how to use sat nav, it was the first street address I found in my lonely planet road trip guide! Well worth it though ...

Next up I went to Jamala beach, along some very windy and narrow roads. It was incredibly windy there and I only spent half an hour there admiring the view of the ocean, seagulls, rocks, etc.
Before heading towards Avila Beach, I wanted to try the natural springs healing water but missed the turning and ended up in Port San Louis. Whilst there I took some pictures of Toddle against various local land marks, including the sign for the Fat Cat Cafe - did make me think of Gordon, although I've not had the pleasure of meeting him yet and Kirsten tells me he is on a moggy diet, he he! Bad news I lost the photos, not sure how but am very disappointed. :(
I had dinner there and enjoyed their legendary onion rings - well it seemed rude not as it was listed in the guide book as the thing to try. But I really shouldn't have ordered a sandwhich with fries too though because I'd forgotten how big american portions are even for a "small" side order. One thing they did offer though once they saw I was struggling was a box to take any left overs home. By the time I left, it was too late (plus I was too full of food) to try the springs. So I drove to my hostel for tonight (private room all to myself) and ventured out in search of place to blog. Well I think it's fair to say mission accomplished! Bye for now ...

1 comment:

Pjjam said...

Hehe. Sounds like you are having lots of fun!

I promise you that Gordon will never be anything but a Fat Cat (unless they start doing kitty tummy-tucks), diet or no diet.

Drive safe and keep the blogs coming - they're great.

Kxx