Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cape Regina and 90 miles beach awesome adventure

Okay, so this is Sunday and I'm off on my own to have an awesome adventure at Cape Regina and 90 miles beach. Silly early start and had to race to meet at pick up point only to discover I could have been picked up closer to the Pickled Parrot. Meant I didn't have caffeine until 8:30am at the Old Oak Inn and didn't think to take camera out when we stopped at home of giant ancient Kauri trees before 8am :(
Picture above is on 90 miles beach so named after the fact that it took Samuel Yates' cows 3 days to travel along and everyone knows cows travel 30 miles per day! It's actually only about 88km or 60 miles - Auto our bus driver measured it this summer - he has best job ever providing commentary on what he loves and listening to his own music via ipod whilst driving (in his own little world)!

As you can see my luck has run out and I encountered some rain at the light house in Cape Reinga - a very spiritual Mauri place at the northern most part of NZ. It's where the Tasman sea and the Pacific Ocean meets - Mauri's believe this is where spirits of the dead travel to before continuing their journey.
Things brightened up enough for us to do some sand surfing near the 90 miles beach, which was awesome! I climbed up three times to zoom down sand even though it stripped off clean my pedicure - well I'd done it myself to save money so figured I could do it again. Next pic is me with Annika (from Germany) and Jacinda (from Australia). We had a great time collecting shell fish I was the only person interested/brave enough in taking them home - which was cooked up into a tasty starter for dinner! Ok they tasted very salty and a bit sandy but steaming them in beer definitely helped improve the experience. :-)



After 90 miles beach we stopped at the Magic Kauri Kingdom - home of inspired chain saw carvings like this seat and other sculptures, plus spiral staircase made out of one tree! I particularly liked the Seed Pot Lady - check out the story behind it below 'growing and learning from the past, shedding old learnings and the past. Peeling back the layers and facing each layer with courage and determination knowing that the final outcome will be all worth it. Leaving exposed ones true self and emerging in the purest form. Little seed pod in hands - to recreate new life of love, joy, truth, humility to blend with daily rhythms on the earth. A time for planting new seeds for new ventures to prosper.'


The awesome adventure included a stop at Doubtless Bay - near Coopers Beach, which Will and Kirsten claim belongs to them (if only!) for fish, chips and beer. This was also a day for many more first experiences - my first Moro bar (basically a mars bar by cadbury's), my first taste of feijoa's (i like) and tomarillo's (don't like). I'll try and catch up again soon on what happened Monday - when Will went back to work and Tuesday on our journey back to Auckland.

Today (Wednesday) has been very different because I actually engaged my brain in focussing on updating my CV for a promotion job opportunity in HR - could be very exciting, although I love my current job and have some amazing ideas following the authenticity course in Santa Barbara that would need be altered if I moved on ...

I then celebrated the progress made by going out for lunch at the Jazz Cafe (where Kirsten and I first had brunch a week ago). Followed by shopping in Auckland for birthday and baby shower presents = very successful! The day was all rounded off by a tasty roast chicken dinner and catching up with folk on line, whilst rewatching flight of the conchords episodes - very funny show about two NZ guys in America - the one where they experience racism and have girlfriend problems. Bye for now. Em x

No comments: